I got some fresh San Marzano tomatoes from the Santa Monica Farmers Market yesterday. They’re so rare to find! Normally there’s tons of heirloom tomatoes, which of course I got but the San Marzano’s just rarely make an appearance. They’re plum tomatoes which are considered the best sauce tomatoes and the only tomatoes that can be used for Vera Pizza Napoletana. So I scooped up a couple of pounds.
Today I made sauce with them.
1) Score the tomato skin.
2) Blanche the tomatoes for a minute then put into an ice bath.
3) Peel the tomatoes
4) Saute minced garlic & onion in olive oil until translucent. This time I also added some red pedrino peppers I found at the market.
5) crush peeled tomatoes in the cuisinart
6) add crushed tomatoes to pan and add some oregano, basil, salt & pepper
7) cook about 15 minutes until thick
8) use with pasta
Note: if you cannot find fresh get them canned and make the sauce starting with step 4.